Tuesday, March 13, 2012

One and only chance

It dawned on me today that I have less time than I thought if I want to have any chance of bouting in our first intraleague bout in May/June. I've only got one shot to pass the Sergeant's test before the bout. If I flunk it the next lot of Sergeants tests will be after the bout. If that wasn't challenging enough, I'm currently a Corporal level 1 which means I can do more advanced drills and scrimmaged based exercises but I can't scrimmage yet. I'm not complaining because I don't feel as though I'm ready to step up to Corporal level 2 yet. So basically I'm asking myself to become a Corporal level 2 and pass my Sergeant test by the 13th-15th April when the tests are scheduled.

The realistic part of me is thinking this is all WAY too ambitious especially with all the injury dramas I've had since I started derby last year and most rational people would probably agree. The thing is that fighter part of me that's starting to re-emerge again for the first time in years is thinking fuck it just go for it and see what happens so I'm going to be irrational for once.

I gave everything I had to pass my Corporal the second time around but I'm going to have work harder still this time around as there's more that's required to pass this level. My trainer Suzie has become a drill Sergeant (pardon the pun). I sent her the list of things I'll be assessed on so after giving her a demo on each skill so she could see which muscles were being used for them she's gearing my training sessions towards strengthening my body for the test. Also, she's put me on a food and exercise plan (off skates) to keep me on track so that I don't stray so this shit got real folks.

I'm also planning on going up to Newcastle for some of their Saturday morning social skates in the hope that Cass can work her magic again and teach me how to do transitions this time around. So I'm leaving no stone unturned in this quest to try and pass the test next month.

I know my original goal this year was to be bouting by my birthday in October and there's more chance of me failing than passing next month despite everything I'll be doing on and off the track this next month but this felt like too good of an opportunity to pass up. If I flunk of course there will be some disappointment, no one likes to fail but I don't want to have any regrets or leave anything in the tank. I want to know that I did everything I could to try and pass.

Stayed tuned over the next month for lots of smiles and swearing in frustration from me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment