Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rehab is for quitters

This week has been all about making the best out of a crap situation. Getting injured at training last week left me in a foul mood for the first few days because I felt as though whatever progress I had made would be lost and I'd be starting at the beginning again. I realised after a few days that negative thinking wasn't going to help me get back on the derby track. I spent the past week resting my leg as much as possible, it ended up being productive as I was able to catch up on some of the DVD's I've bought but not had a chance to watch :)

It's only in the last day or so that the pain in both my knee and ankle has cleared up enough that I could now consider the next stage in my rehabilitation. Unfortunately it wasn't putting on my skates and carrying on like nothing happened, it's all about building the strength in my leg before putting it through the tough demands of derby again. I was thinking that I'd probably be able to do it for a week before I could hit the skates again but I was a bit disappointed when I got told it would be 3-4 weeks not 1 week. Although I'm itching to get back on skates I want to do derby for years to come not just a few weeks so if I have to spend a few more weeks off skates to prolong my derby career then I'll just have to be patient. I'm pleased to say I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 this morning to go to the local pools and do walking laps in the pool. I got until the 30 minute mark before my knee and ankle started to hurt so that's some progress YAY! I've got a list of other things I can do over the next few weeks that'll help so if all goes well I should be back on skates at the end of the month FINALLY!

On Wednesday a group of us went to the skate park at Glenbrook. Although I wasn't skating it was great fun watching them take on the various ramps. I so wanted to be out there taking it on, it looked scary, tough and fun all at the same time. It reminded me of the Tony Hawk's pro skater games that I still enjoy playing on the Playstation (yeah I'm just a big kid)


Since I've been stuck on the sidelines this past week I've been watching people at training especially those who already bout to try and pick us some pointers. Sometimes it gets a little disheartening seeing them make it look so easy. I start thinking am I ever going to get up to that level?

In other derby news a new local league was formed on Friday night. They're called Hawkesbury Area Roller Derby or H.A.R.D for short hehe. I think this is brilliant news for the derby community. I believe the more competitive leagues we have the better. It's the fastest growing sport in Australia so there's definately a demand. I'm hoping more leagues pop up in NSW, us skaters have more competition and the fans have more bouts to watch than they can poke a stick at.

I saw this posted on Facebook, it's a great read: My top 7 tips for fresh meat

No comments:

Post a Comment